Wednesday, January 25, 2012

How my idea of culture matches Stephen Long's.

Long begins his explanation of culture by mentioned where the general denotation came from, the cultivation of a plant, and includes how the term is used metaphorically. Long's example of the hammer makes a lot of sense to me in that when I(and likely most people) learned what a hammer was, it wasn't by a dictionary definition but rather by using it in a certain context. He views culture in a similar manner in that defining culture doesn't do the term and idea justice. Culture is an abstract idea encompassing many activities that humans do on a day-to-day basis. I tend to agree with Niebuhr, whose work Christ and Culture is referenced by Long. He believes that culture includes things ranging from beliefs and customs to social organizations and technical processes. That notion is something that resonantes with me because I don't think culture can be easily defined and is best understood in the context of different situations.


No comments:

Post a Comment